Sunday 21 February 2016

Identities and Film: blog task

1) Read Media Factsheet 142: Identity and Film.

2) Complete the Twenty Statements Test yourself. This means answering the question ‘Who am I?’ 20 times with 20 different answers. What do they say about your identity? Write the 20 answers in full on your blog.
Who am i? I am a xbox gamer
Who am i? I am a comic nerd
Who am i? I am a student
Who am i? I am a male
Who am i? I am a lazy person
Who am i? I am a Arsenal fan
Who am i? I am Batman
Who am i? I am going to try youtubing one day
Who am i? I am a helper
Who am i? I am a patient person
Who am i? I am studying media
Who am i? I am studying applied business
Who am i? I am going to university in the future
Who am i? I am good at air hockey 
Who am i? I am a music fan of anything 
Who am i? I am going to be 18 in June 
Who am i? I am a caring person
Who am i? I am a understanding person
Who am i? I am in year 13
Who am i? I am forgiving 

3) Classify your answers into the categories listed  on the Factsheet: Social groups, ideological beliefs, interests etc.

Social and self evaluation : I am a student, I am a male, I am studying media, i am studying applied business, i am in year 13, i am going to be 18 in June, I am a caring person, i am a helper, i am a understanding person and i am a forgiving person.

Interests: I am a arsenal fan, i am a xbox gamer, i am a comic nerd, i am batman and i am a music fan.

Ambitions: I am going to university, i am batman and i am going to try youtubing one day


4) Go back to your favourite film (as identified in the lesson). What does this choice of film say about your identity? Are there any identities within the film (e.g. certain characters) that particularly resonated with your values and beliefs?

My favourite film is Groundhog day with Bill Murray as to the reason of how his belief is to be selfish and only help himself where he starts repeating the day he becomes selfless and falls in love over and over again. The film shows that i like to see people become better and i would want to be a hero like him and have the chance to change like that. This film shows that society can change and a simple selfish man can.

5) Watch the trailers for the five films highlighted as examples of gay/lesbian representation in mainstream film. How are LGBT identities constructed in the trailers and how are audiences encouraged to respond to these representations?

Wilde the story of Oscar Wilde and the realization of his homosexuality caused Wilde enormous torment as he juggled marriage, fatherhood and responsibility with his obsessive love for Lord Alfred Douglas. The concept of fatherhood makes it harder to be accepted to be a gay.

Philadelphia Fearing it would compromise his career, lawyer Andrew Beckett (Tom Hanks) hides his homosexuality and HIV status at a powerful Philadelphia law firm. But his secret is exposed when a colleague spots the illness's telltale lesions. 

The Wedding Banquet The Wedding Banquet is a 1993 film about a gay Taiwanese immigrant man who marries a mainland Chinese woman to placate his parents and get her a green card. 

The Kids Are Alright Nic (Annette Bening) and Jules (Julianne Moore) are a married lesbian couple living in the Los Angeles area. 

Pride (2014) London-based gays and lesbians lend their support to striking coal miners in 1984 Wales.

No comments:

Post a Comment